Toyotsu Biking Tour -}


A few weekends back, the weather decided to make a break for it and turned sunny and gorgeous and most importantly, warm. Now, I know, I know, Kyushu weather isn't all that cold, but it gets cold enough and so the sun-drenched high of 17C was a very, very welcome sight.




To make the most of the weather, my friend and I got out in the afternoon and biked a fair few kilometers to a small town called Toyotsu. The ride was gorgeous and the company was hilarious and while we might have gotten a bit turned around, it was a very fun trip.



The entire point of this little jaunt, however, was not just to get out and enjoy the fresh air (now with less PM2.5!). Toyotsu is home to a three story pagoda. Funny thing about pagodas, is that although my image of pagoda is definitely the Japanese variety, it is not, in fact, a Japanese word. Or in fact an original Japanese idea/architectural structure. (Thanks, Wiki!)




I'm not quite sure, why this pagoda was built. Or when it was. (Reasons why I should take pictures of the signboards – especially when the English is as good as the ones Toyotsu has!) But it's still very pretty, and very photogenic on a nice day.

I'm not quite sure, why this pagoda was built. Or when it was. (Reasons why I should take pictures of the signboards – especially when the English is as good as the ones Toyotsu has!) But it's still very pretty, and very photogenic on a nice day.


Buzen-Kokubunji, Toyotsu, Fukuoka

Open Daily (I think?) from 9:00 am – 4:00 pm

Closed from annually from December 28th until January 4th
Recommended? Yes, definitely! It only takes an hour or so to see the whole property. Two if you're taking your time. And the English sign translations are really well done.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment